Thursday, December 18, 2008

De Grisogono

This is my latest obsession. I have been trying ways and means to find out how much this cost. Even my online-shopping partner in crime, Ceri, is stumped this time. Anybody?



______________________________________________

My problems aren’t problems at all if you compared them to extreme poverty or a turbulent political environment. So let me qualify: if you're not prepared to read my whinings in the next few para, I suggest you leave my page RIGHT NOW and move on to other blogs. And oh, ... I don't expect you to understand exactly what I wrote; or to offer concrete help, but writing peels off my layered thoughts.

From young, I led a life of frugality, understood the fear of not having a roof over my head, learnt the hard way to be independent. You put my spoon in your mouth and tell me is it silver or not? I was the minority in class, and often singled out because my primary school fees ain't paid... yet again. Soon my embarassment gave way to numbness. Imagine feeling numb when I was just a kid. Of course, at that time, I didn't know it was numbness, I simply bo-chap. That if I didn't care and didn't feel, things will not hurt me. My feelings will not be hurt. School fees were a problem, let alone other ECAs. I would have wanted to ballet-dance, to draw and to play piano. I detest other kids complaining that it's a chore to go for extra lessons paid by their parents. Brats! Spoiled brats! Spit at all of you nasty little snobs! Pui! Pui! Pui!

My only toy was a plastic apple, quite a huge red one I picked up from the rubbish bin. When I opened the 'lid' which is the shape of the little stalk, I pretended to cook stuff inside my apple and closed the 'lid' to simmer. Sometimes, when I got tired, I dumped my stuff inside my apple and hug it to my chest. I didn't know what's a barbie doll, or little ponies or any alphabet sing along miniature games. My second toy was a prize I got for coming third in Pri. 1 class. It was a book with a cassette tape - 'Gingerbread Man' and when the cassette goes 'ding', I have to turn the page. I played the cassette everyday for at least a month.

As my family's financials got better when I grew up, I morphed into a snob sometimes. But I realised my past shaped my present. When reality taught me to be independent, reality also translates into me finding it tough to rely on others' aid. I depend on myself always and very rarely do I accept help. Thus, it shouldn't come as a surprise that during the latest FIBRO-B test, I scored a 1 (out of 9) under the category 'Wanted Affection'. I have no problem with 'Expressed Affection'. In fact, I scored mid range for 'Expressed Affection'.

(Expressed Affection is the extent that I initiate the behaviour of emotional ties and warm connections between people.
Wanted Affection is the extent I will accept that behaviour from others.)

Essentially, this means that even though I make an effort to get close to people and express my feelings to create close ties, I do not neccessarily want the same from you. My past taught me to self-rely and not trust other people. Because I may be subjected to disappointments and invariantly hurt when I am let down. If I minimize this reliance and draw on my own resources, I minimize the chance of being let down. It's not others' fault. It's human to err and it's human for me to let some of you down as well; even though I don't mean to. Simply, I have no interest in meeting anybody halfway when the end result is so predictable - People let people down. I choose to insulate myself.

This is not a good thing - very often, I feel alone. And it sucks big time because I know I have friends; people who genuinely care, people who are willing to give without expecting anything in return. It’s just not easy for me to open up and confess how messed up I am. How do I say that I do not want to die and that every single breathe I take, this is all I think of? What if I just walk towards that bright light and never turn back?

And just now I was wallowing in self-pity and whipped out my mobile. I had no idea who to call. How do I tell you my exact feelings? Or make you feel exactly the same way I do right now? Even if I do get through to you, what do I hope to acheive? Would I spoil your day by sharing my bad day with you? Or do I just want reassurance? Be positive, you will be fine. Be strong and stay happy. Countless times I’ve heard. Maybe you are right, I should have more faith. I will live on. But from now til then, I just don't see how.

The strange thing is these feelings come and go. The next minute, I can snap out of it and think like well, life's designed to move on. Take things one step at a time. Stay focused. That after all the pain, maybe I can look back one day in the future, and smile. Or laugh at how silly I was to think the way I have thought in the few para above.

I quote this from my friend's blog: 幸福 - 拥有的时候要珍惜。以为幸福离自己很远的时候,可能它一直都在身边。

4 comments:

Adeline said...

Oh girl...Luv ya for what u are...dats what make u my bestie roomie...cos maybe I am just like u too.

Mary Wang said...

Gorgeous, Im going to check out if this in available in the boutique in Paris. And remember the LV one which I tried to put my name on the queue... they never called back. Apparently the items on the runway are limited and only VVIPs can get hold of them. They said you get more chances reserving in Singapore which I thought was a way just to get me to go away. So lame, I shall do what they wish and not patronise them ever!


Remembered one day 4 years ago, I asked you for some advice when I was in a state I had to try hard to remain calm. You did not even winch and just told me exactly what I needed. Then we quickly parted.

Through our contact, I sensed at the moment that what I was going through was not going to be the end of the world because you probably have been through it and survived too. And one day, I will get by and it will not be worth even dwelling on.

Only those who has been through difficulties are survivors and you are indeed a courageous one. Hope the down period is over.

Anonymous said...

You mirror exactly how I feel when you said about insulating yourself..but no matter what i still want to say the cliche thing, that you really grab life by its balls and live it well so far and i'm so proud of you for your gung-ho attitude..but no matter what i'm only a phone call away and anything you need, just let me know.
ade

deLuxique said...

Hello dear!! =) Don't know who to call? Call me la!!
My ears are BIG (yes they stick out!) enough to listen to your whining...!!! Take care yea!!