Maybe I will be blasted for verbalising this out loud but here it goes....
*Take a deep breathe*
You know the girl lawyer who was held hostage and subsequently killed? When I saw how her husband broke in his interview to the press, it broke my heart too. Here is a man who lost his beloved in the most unexpected way. Sometimes, you will think why a lot of us are wasting time arguing a lot with our partners. What a waste of time!
I do not know this girl at all but from the papers, she's a smart, talented, beautiful and gorgeous lady. My heart goes out to her and her family. Especially her family who has got to find the strength to move on. But I can't help thinking: maybe there's this 'attitude' thing that we Singaporeans have? The 'self-righteous' attitude? Or did she play 'smart alec' and tried to retort when the terrorists say something? You know, like you see sometimes in movies, some characters 'act smart' in the face of crisis and ended up getting killed?
Ok, I know I shouldn't think like that. Makes me sound insensitive and cold-blooded; which by the way is so not my point. My point here is that, very often the press paints a skewed picture. I always feel the media takes away the power for an individual to think on his/ her own.
For example, all the hype about Obama. And all these we read from the news, watch from the news, hear from the news. But seriously, if the media had been a neutral party, an individual would have the chance to draw their conclusion. Obama hasn't done anything for the country yet. But his promise to the nation drew much hype. Which tend to influence the majority of readers. He is made out to be a superhero even though he did nothing yet.
I am not saying that he couldn't. I am sure he could. But let the man prove himself first before we worship him. Only then is he deserving of such hype.
1 comment:
Apparently she is killed because she was not able to bring across the message to the government that the terrorists want her to...
Guess it is a sad case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time... and it is really pre-destined... Really feel for the husband...imagine the pain of losing he worship so much. and they are newly married. sigh... treasure your loves ones ya!
Post a Comment